Stuffed Bell Peppers
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
- 1 cup Fresh Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Small Yellow or White Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 Clove Garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 6 ounces Ground Beef, 95% lean
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup Cholesterol-free Egg Substitute or 2 Egg Whites
- 2 tablespoons Onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Large Bell Peppers, any color, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
Add Ingredients to Shopping List
- Preheat oven to 400F. Combine tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, if desired, cilantro, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon oregano and cumin in small bowl. Set aside.
- Thoroughly combine beef, rice, egg substitute, onion, salt and black pepper in large bowl. Stir in 2/3 cup tomato mixture. Spoon filling evenly into pepper halves.
- Spray 4 (12X12-inch) sheets heavy-duty foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place each pepper half on foil sheet. Double fold sides and ends of foil to seal packets. Place packets on baking sheet.
- Bake 45 minutes or until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Remove from oven. Carefully open one end of each packet to allow steam to escape. Open packets and transfer pepper halves to serving plates. Serve with remaining tomato mixture.