Onion-Baked Lamb Shanks
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
An exotic blend of spices, typical of North African stews, combines with the flavor of lamb to form a juicy tenderness. This is a great make-ahead dish. The flavors are even better reheated.
- Place lamb shanks single layer in a deep casserole.
- In frying pan, sauté onions in butter and oil until limp but not browned.
- Add garlic, salt and spices.
- Mix until onions are evenly coated.
- Stir in water and honey, blending well.
- Pour over lamb shanks.
- Arrange lemon slices over shanks.
- Bake at 350 Degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until lamb is juicy and tender and meat comes away easily from bones.
- Arrange on bed of cooked brown rice.
- Top with onions.
- Discard lemon.
- Skim fat from juices.
- Boil juices down until slightly thickened. Spoon over meat.
- Garnish with fresh lemon slices.
Prep Time: 20 minutes