Cuban Black Bean Soup
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
- Sort and soak beans overnight; drain and discard soak water.
- In a 4-quart pot, sauté onion in butter or margarine until tender but not browned.
- Add soaked beans, 4 cups water, bouillon cube, ham (cut into 4-6 chunks), bay leaves, thyme, oregano, salt & red pepper.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hour.
- Remove 1 cup beans from stew, mash in a bowl with potato masher or fork.
- Add mashed beans to stew; stir to thicken.
- Remove ham and dice.
- Remove bay leaves and red pepper, if used, and discard.
- Add diced meat, green pepper and rum (if desired) to beans.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve beans over rice and top with sour cream if desired.