Jamaican Oxtail Stew
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
- 1/3 cup Small White Beans, dried
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 3 pounds Beef Oxtails
- 3 Garlic Cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Medium Tomato, diced
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 2 cups Water, (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons Allspice, freshly ground, or salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Tabasco Sauce, to taste
Add Ingredients to Shopping List
- Place beans in a small saucepan.
- Add 1 cup of the water, bring to a boil, covered, and then turn off the heat.
- Allow to sit for 1 hour, covered, then drain.
- Brown the oxtails well in the oil.
- Place the oxtails in a 6-quart stove-top casserole.
- Add the garlic, onion and tomato.
- Add the beef stock and enough water so it just covers the contents of the pot.
- Add the allspice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 hours, adding the drained beans after 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid during the last hour of cooking if you want a thicker sauce.
- Be careful the pot does not dry out.
- Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce.