Flemish Beef Stew
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
- Blanch salt pork in boiling water 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse well; pat dry.
- Transfer to heavy large skillet and cook over medium flame until lightly browned.
- Remove from skillet using slotted spoon and reserve for use in salads or other dishes.
- Increase heat to medium high.
- Add beef to skillet in batches (do not crowd) and cook until well browned on all sides, turning with spatula.
- Transfer meat to heavy 2 to 3 quart saucepan.
- Add onions to skillet and reduce heat slightly and cook until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend in flour and cook about 30 seconds, watching carefully so flour does not burn.
- Add stout and stir, scraping up any browned bits.
- Bring mixture to boil.
- Pour over beef.
- Blend in vinegar, sugar, parsley, bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover saucepan and simmer mixture for 30 minutes.
- Spread mustard over bread.
- Press bread into stew.
- Cover and cook until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Serve immediately.