Chili Beef Stew
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
Serve this Mexican-style beef stew over fluffy rice some chilly evening. Accompany it with sautéed zucchini and a leafy green salad. If you enjoy beer, it tastes good with this dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds Boneless Beef Chuck, fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt, pepper and flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Butter or Margarine
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 can (1 lb.) Tomatoes
- 1 Small Can (4 oz.) Green Chilies, seeded, chopped
- 1 can (1 lb.) Red Kidney Beans, drained
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Fluffy Rice
- 1 Avocado, sliced, for garnish
Add Ingredients to Shopping List
- Sprinkle beef cubes with salt and pepper; coat lightly with flour, shaking off excess.
- Brown beef cubes, about half at a time, well on all sides in heated butter in a large heavy frying pan or Dutch oven, removing and reserving them as they brown.
- When all beef is browned cook onion in same pan, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned.
- Return beef to pan; mix in garlic, salt, cumin and chili powder. Add tomatoes, coarsely chopped, and their liquid, and green chiles.
- Bring to boiling.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until beef is tender, 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim and discard fat.
- Mix in beans.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly. 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cook for a few minutes longer to melt it.
- Serve over rice, garnishing each portion with avocado slices.