Hearty Brown Vegetable Stew
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
This combination of vegetables and lentils, with its hearty flavor and rich brown color is a filling entree. If you prefer, serve a smaller portion as a side dish to accompany an omelette, quiche or soufflé for a vegetarian meal.
- Pick over, wash and drain lentils.
- Using a large soup pot or casserole, lightly brown potatoes, onions, mushrooms and garlic in oil.
- Add carrots and celery.
- Sauté briefly.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer about 1 hour, partly covered, adding more water if needed during cooking.
- Check for doneness.
- If necessary, continue simmering until done.
- Serve stew, sprinkled with parsley.