Rum-Frosted Spice Squares
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
A buttery rum frosting covers these fine-textured spice bars with a hint of coffee and molasses.
- Cream together shortening and sugar until creamy and light. Beat in the eggs, one by one, blending well. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, wheat germ, spices and salt. Add raisins.
- Stir molasses into the sugar mixture until well combined.
- Add the boiling water, instant coffee and baking soda.
- Stir in the flour mixture and lemon rind.
- Spread batter into a greased 15-by-10-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until done.
- Cool on wire rack. Frost with Rum Frosting. Cut into bars to serve.
- Rum Frosting: Cream together 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar and pinch of salt, mixing thoroughly.
- Add 1 tsp. rum flavoring or 1 Tbs. rum.
- Blend in 1 to 2 Tbs. milk or enough to make frosting of spreading consistency.