Veal Shoulder Pot Roast
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
Long, slow pot roasting cooks veal shoulder into a tender, succulent piece of meat.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds Veal Shoulder
- 4 tablespoons Butter or Margarine
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Szechuan Pepper, coarsely crushed, or black pepper, coarsely crushed
- 8 Small Carrots, peeled
- 2 Cloves Garlic, whole, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, freshly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Each Dried Basil, tarragon and thyme leaves
- 1 Small Bay Leaf, crumbled
- 1 pound Frozen Small Boiling Onions
- 2 Whole Tomatoes, wedged
Add Ingredients to Shopping List
- Slowly brown veal in butter over moderate heat using a heavy-lidded casserole or Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Roast at 300° for 30 minutes.
- Add carrots to roast along with garlic, parsley, basil, tarragon, thyme and bay leaf.
- Top with the onions.
- Cover and continue roasting for 1 1/2 hours longer or until meat is very tender.
- About 15 minutes before removing from oven, add tomatoes.
- Place roast on heated serving platter.
- Surround with vegetables.
- Discard garlic.
- Heat juices in pan to boiling.
- Boil, stirring, until juices are syrupy and reduced to about 3/4 cup.
- Spoon over roast and vegetables to glaze.
- Serve immediately.