Chicken with Rice
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
- Soak rice in warm water for 15 minutes and drain.
- Grind together the garlic, onion, black peppers, salt and cumin seed and spread over raw chicken pieces.
- Melt shortening in large skillet and brown sausages well. Remove sausages. Brown chicken in the fat, add rice, and cook until rice gets lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and cook 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add the broth, in which saffron has been dissolved, sausages and green peppers.
- Cover and cook slowly until rice, chicken and sausages are done, about 35 - 45 minutes. Add a bit more broth if necessary.
- A few minutes before rice is done, add the chopped pinientos and mix them through with the chicken and rice. All the liquid should be absorbed into rice during cooking process. Season with additional salt if necessary.