Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
The short cooking time of this soup retains the fresh flavors of the vegetables, piqued with the scent of herbs and garlic.
- Wash and dry chicken.
- Squeeze lemon over pieces Sprinkle with salt and black pepper Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil in skillet.
- Add chicken.
- Brown over medium high heat for 5 to 7 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Add half the broth and enough water to cover.
- Simmer 20 to 30 minutes until meat comes off bones easily.
- In soup pot, heat remaining oil.
- Add onions, carrots and celery.
- Cook, stirring, over high heat 2 minutes.
- Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and basil Add remaining stock and enough water to cover Simmer 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove garlic.
- Mash and return to pot.
- Remove bones and skin from chicken.
- Shred meat and add to vegetables.
- Skim fat from stock.
- Serve hot or cool and chill until ready to serve.
- Reheat to serving temperature.
- Garnish with parsley when serving.