Apple Date Nut Cake
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
Ideal for lunch boxes, this moist apple-filled cake will keep for several days when covered and refrigerated.
- Cream sugar with butter.
- Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with cold coffee.
- Stir in the baking soda, blending in very well.
- Fold in apples, dates and nuts.
- Turn into buttered 13-by-9-inch cake pan.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched in center.
- When completely cooled, spread with Caramel Icing: Combine 1/3 cup butter or margarine in saucepan with 1 cup brown sugar, packed.
- Stir in 1/4 cup half-and-half or milk.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool 10 minutes, then blend in 1 cup sifted powdered sugar.
- Spread on cooled cake.