Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
Wheat germ adds a nutlike flavor to these moist, golden loaves.
- Place warm water in large bowl; sprinkle with yeast.
- Let stand until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix in milk, molasses, salt, oil, and 4 cups of the flour.
- Mix to blend then beat until dough is elastic and pulls away from sides of bowl, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in wheat germ and 1 cup more of the flour to make soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured board or pastry cloth.
- Knead, adding more flour if dough is sticky, until dough is smooth and springy, with small bubbles just under surface, about 20 minutes.
- Turn dough over in greased bowl.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 to 11/4 hrs.
- Punch dough down.
- Divide in half.
- Shape each half into a loaf.
- Place loaves in greased 41/2-by-81/2-inch loaf pans.
- Let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F until loaves are well browned and sound hollow when tapped, 30 to 40 minutes.