Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
Created quite a while ago by a fine dinner theater restaurant on the West Coast. these hot sandwiches are now known and enjoyed by many people in their own homes
- Use 3 slices bread for each sandwich.
- Butter 4 slices and cover generously with ham and poultry.
- Butter 4 more slices of bread on both sides.
- Place on top of poultry.
- Cover with cheese.
- Butter 4 more slices and place on cheese.
- Press slightly.
- Use toothpicks to hold sandwiches together.
- Trim off crusts.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt and black pepper.
- Dip sandwich halves in egg mixture.
- Fry slowly on both sides in butter in skillet or on griddle about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add more butter as needed.
- Remove toothpicks.
- Serve sandwiches on warm plates with sharp knives and forks for easy eating.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes or sliced tomatoes.
- Pass sauce or jelly.