Country Style Oatmeal Bread
Recipe Courtesy of Reasor's
This crusty bread owes its grainy texture and flavor to oatmeal that is cooked before it is mixed into the dough.
- Add oats and salt to boiling water in saucepan.
- Stir in sugar and butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Set aside until mixture cools to between 105 F and 115 F.
- In large mixing bowl.
- Soften yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water.
- Add cooled oat mixture.
- Gradually stir in flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board - Knead until dough is smooth and satiny, adding just enough flour to keep dough from being sticky.
- Place dough into clean, lightly oiled bowl, turning once-Cover and let rise about 1 hour in a warm place (85 F) until doubled.
- Punch down.
- Shape dough into a large round ball.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet, smooth side up Sprinkle with uncooked oatmeal.
- Let rise again about 1 hours or until doubled.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 to 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.