Green Eggs & Ham Sushi
Recipe Courtesy of National Pork Board
- To make sushi rice, place rice in fine-mesh colander and rinse well to remove excess starch; drain. Transfer to a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan. Add water. Cover with tight fitting lid and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low or medium-low. Very gently simmer, covered, about 20 min. or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 15 min.
- Transfer rice to a large baking dish or bowl. Slightly cool. Sprinkle with rice vinegar; toss until combined. Cool to room temperature. Cover with damp towel to prevent rice from drying out.
- Meanwhile, for spinach-egg filling, squeeze excess moisture from spinach. Finely chop spinach.
- Combine spinach, eggs, and salt in small bowl. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add spinach-egg mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through but still glossy. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- To assemble sushi rolls: For each roll, place seaweed sheet, shiny side down, on bamboo mat. Using wet hands, spread a scant 1 1/4 c. sushi rice evenly on seaweed sheet to within 3/4 in. of edge nearest you and opposite side. Place 1-1/2 or 2 slices of ham across the center of the rice. Spoon about 3 Tbsp. of spinach-egg mixture in a strip across the ham.
- Use bamboo mat to lift and tightly roll sushi, jelly-roll style. Shape roll by lightly pressing roll together with damp hands. If desired, tightly wrap sushi rolls in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 hrs. To serve, using a wet knife, slice each roll into 6 to 8 pieces. Makes 24-32 pieces.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Calories: 480; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 175mg; Total Carbs: 86g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 19g; Sodium: 820mg;
For more recipes visit: www.PorkBeInspired.com