Toasted Quinoa and Avocado Salad
Recipe Courtesy of California Avocado Commission
- 3/4 ounce Canola Oil
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup Onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 1/4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- Avocado Salad:
- 1 cup Cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 cups Tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups Cooked Red Beans
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, small dice, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Jalapeño Pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 cups Avocado, 1/2" dice
- 24 Pieces Belgian Endive Leaves
Add Ingredients to Shopping List
- Heat the canola oil in a saucepot. Add the quinoa and toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown.
- Add the onions, garlic, and oregano, and stir until aromatic.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt and adjust the seasonings with pepper. Cover tightly and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Place on a sheet pan to cool. Once cool, place the quinoa in a bowl and fold in the cucumbers, tomatoes, cooked beans, onions, mint, jalapeños, and cilantro.
- Season with lime. Gently fold in the avocado.
- Place 1 heaping Tbsp. in an endive leaf.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Your favorite chilled beverage as a snack or warm tortilla soup as a light dinner.
Calories: 459; Calories From Fat: 39; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Total Carbs: 61g; Fiber: 15g; Protein: 13g; Sodium: 620mg;