Summer-Fresh Confetti Walnut Quinoa Salad
Recipe Courtesy of Walnut Marketing Board
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 cup Uncooked Quinoa
- 3 tablespoons Walnut Oil, plus additional oil if needed
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice, plus additional lemon juice if needed
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, plus salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup Cooked Corn Kernels, or frozen corn
- 1/2 English Cucumber, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 6-8 Oz. Cherry Tomatoes, halved, to make about 1 1/2 c.
- 3/4 cup Chopped California Walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese, preferably flavored with garlic and herbs
- 1/3 cup Coarsely Chopped, pitted, kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
Add Ingredients to Shopping List
- Combine water and quinoa in a 2-qt. saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan, turn the heat to low, and simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 - 12 min. Set aside off heat for about 5 min., then stir and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- In large bowl, whisk together the walnut oil, lemon juice, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Add corn, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, feta, olives, parsley and quinoa, and stir and toss to coat with the dressing. Refrigerate until serving.
- Taste the salad, and season with additional salt, walnut oil and lemon juice if you wish.
- Toasting methods:
- Bake walnuts on a cookie sheet, in a single layer, at 350°F for 8 to 10 min., checking frequently.
- Microwave walnuts in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate on medium-high for 5 to 6 min., stirring every 2 min..
- Cook walnuts in a skillet at medium-high heat for 3 to 5 min., stirring frequently.
- Regardless of method, walnuts can be toasted dry or with a dash of oil.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Calories: 200; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 250mg;