Hats off to 2018 Challengers!Posted on March 29th, 2018
What a whirlwind January, February, and March have been for the dietitian program! Every year starting in January, Reasor’s offers a Weight Loss Challenge. Don’t let the name fool you – this challenge is sooooo much more than just weight. We talk about all the different aspects of nutrition and wellness to ensure our participants are not only successful at losing weight during the challenge but continue their success in a healthy lifestyle long after we wrap up in March. This is one of my favorite events every year and allows me the opportunity to really develop relationships with each participant and provide them unique nutrition care specific to them.
After offering this challenge for the last four years we really took to heart all the feedback from past participants to make this year even bigger and better than before. Here are some of the quick details of what each participant got to experience this year as part of their reduced $99 one-time payment (that is only $11 per class).
- 9 weekly classes led by a Reasor’s Registered Dietitian (including topics like mindfulness & body positivity, the science behind calories, macronutrients, portion sizes, physical activity, hydration, metabolism, goal setting, myplate, meal planning, and more!)
- Challenge curriculum workbook
- A hands-on cooking class with a full meal after class
- A virtual support group
- Personalized nutrition and weight goals
- Store tour to learn how to apply healthy nutrition to shopping
- LOTS and LOTS of samples and coupons!
- Weekly prizes to encourage participation and accountability
- Participant t-shirts
- Grand prize pack for one participant based off participation
- Grand prize gift card of $200+ for the participant who loses the highest percent of weight change
- Grand prize FitBit
- Every participant is eligible to win a $30 gift card if they lose 3% of their starting weight
To help include more challengers and ensure every participant received quality time with the dietitian we expanded to two class options for 2018. Something that we have never explored in the past! Both classes were held every Thursday, one in the morning and one in the evening after work to help accommodate everyone’s schedule. Also new to 2018 was hosting the classes at the Tandy YMCA. We are proud to partner with the Tandy YMCA in offering the community healthy cooking classes twice a month and a free nutrition class every quarter. With this option we were provided the ability to host a cooking class for the first time ever for challengers after many requests! The Tandy YMCA also offered a state-of-the-art facility for our participants at a location close to several highways for convenience.
We had some really awesome participants in 2018… here are just a few things they accomplished:
- The group lost over 151 pounds which is about 3% weight loss per participant
- Over 60% of participants met their 3% weight loss goal and earned a $30 gift card
- 20% of participants achieved 5% or more weight loss
- Our morning overall winner lost 6.5% of her starting weight and our evening class winner lost 7.8% of her starting weight.
- One participant reported her blood pressure changed positively from the challenge and another participant joined the challenge to help with her recent diagnosis of pre-diabetes and high cholesterol which she shared with the group had been improved after completing the challenge!
Not only do I love working with each participant and hosting the weight loss challenge but our participants left some comments on their surveys sharing their thoughts as well….
- “This class was a great way to kick start my weight loss, healthy lifestyle”
- “Thank you Reasors and all the sponsors. The Reasor’s Healthy Living challenge helped me a lot. I learned some really cool stuff like portion control. Thank you for everything.”
- “The information given during the class was given in a way that helped cut through all the “diet, weight loss” info online.”
- 100% of participants would recommend this challenge to others
If this program sounds of interest to you or you are just looking to help improve your well-being for the long term stay tuned to the Reasor’s website or the Reasor’s Healthy Living Facebook page to get access to registration to the next challenge! This program is not only for those looking to lose weight but anyone looking to improve their nutrition along their journey to health & wellness. I look forward to hopefully working with you in the future!
Heather Steele, RD/LD is Reasor’s Registered Dietitian and loves to garden, cook, and ride her bike! Heather offices out of the Reasor’s off 71st & Lynn Lane and is here for all of your food & nutrition needs.
Information included does not constitute medical advice and should only be used as a general recommendation for a healthy, balanced diet and lifestyle. Opinions and recommendations expressed are of their own; Reasor’s Registered Dietitian is not paid to endorse any products or services.